Ok, in a way the problem is "solved", as I apparently was trying to achieve
something that goes against
the implemented behaivour.

On the default page of the site I put a login form as descibed in the
Servlet spec.
I then specified the default page to be the login page and listed all other
pages on the site(Except access denied page) as protected.

The behaviour that I expected was:
1) If a user visits the site he has the option to log in.
2) If he returns to the site via an old link/favourite, the default page
will be shown for him to log in.

As I understand it now, this setup cannot be achieved using form
authentication.

In my mind that makes form authentication completely useless.

Hopefully I got it all wrong, and there is a way to achieve my goal.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]