You have an application problem, not a problem with Tomcat. I hit 23
requests per second on a uni-processor P4 3.0. Incidentally, if you look at
my results you'll see that the average time for pages involving DB Access is
350ms, while the average time for pages not involving DB Access is 81ms.
Here are some performance testing numbers for my app.

http://www.mhsoftware.com/caldemo/manual/en/pageFinder.html?page=622.htm

Note that my app is handcoded servlets, and doesn't involve JSP or tag
libraries.

You might want to upgrade to the latest JDKs. In my testing, going to the
JDK 1.5 yielded something like a 25% increase in performance.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585