If you are using the Tomcat version that ships with SLES9 (version 5.0.x I
believe) just use the /etc/init.d/tomcat script. There is usually a symbolic
link created and you can just issue one of the following from a root command
prompt:
  rctomcat start
  rctomcat stop
  rctomcat restart
  rctomcat status

Use the Yast tool to be sure it is enabled at startup. I think the choices
are "System->Runlevel Editor" from the main menu.

SuSE's scripts are pretty robust and idiot proof.

The problem with the enterprise Linux distributions (like SLES9 and RH EL)
is that they keep applying security patches to older version of products
(e.g. Tomcat) - i.e. "for stability".

I needed to do clustering, so I had to upgrade to Tomcat 5.5. It was pretty
easy to just clone /etc/init.d/tomcat to /etc/init.d/tc55 and also
/etc/sysconfig/j2ee to /etc/sysconfig/tc55. I had to adjust slightly to
point at where I actually installed Tomcat 5.5. Works great.

Hope this helps - Richard