Mike wrote:
Hello all,

I have scoured Google and the list archives, it seems
like somebody must have had this issue before but I
can't find any record of it.

(all on a single host)
Tomcat 5.5.12
Apache 1.3.28
mod_jk
Mandrake Linux 9.1
Struts 1.2.4

My problem is that, while using my application (via
browser), occasionally, I get the message

"HTTP Status 503 - This application is not currently
available"

This is a Tomcat produced error (it has the blue bars,
and has the Tomcat/5.5.12 signature), so I am pretty
sure the web server isn't having any problem
contacting Tomcat.

Generally what happens is I restart the server, wait
10-15 seconds (for Tomcat to start), load my first
action (which should forward to a JSP), and I get this
message.  I hit reload on my browser 3-5 times (each
time getting the same 503) and then the page comes up.
 (the login page to my application).

By itself this isn't a big deal, but the kicker is
that occasionally, I have to hit reload a couple times
in the middle of a session of using the application.

No messages come up in the mod_jk log or in the tomcat
log that I can see.  The apache log shows the 503
errors.

Sorry, this is my first question to the list so I
don't know if I'm providing the needed information,
any guidance would be great!

Regards,
Mike K.

As you might've guessed, check your tomcat logs. I've seen this behavior when an underlying exception/error occurs. For example when you change or place new jar onto the system (static, non-reloading classloaders), and the JVM is confused by the unexpected change in class-file offsets. Thats just one example.

ken