Ken Johanson wrote:

>>> I'm trying to write a facade API that will call into whatever
>>> Realm/Authenticator that the user already has configured (though an
>>> abstract/overridden method)... the idea being that no changes to the
>>> user's existing auth config or modules are required, nor that the user
>>> should need to change out any custom realm/authenticator that they may
>>> have written, for mine. So the solution needs to transparently call into
>>> some existing method(s) in the 'Base' classes or interface impls..
>>
>> To do what? What user requirement are you trying to meet? Technically
>> I understand what you are trying to do but not the fundamental why.
>> Knowing your ultimate aim may enable people on this list to suggest an
>> alternative approach.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> The intent is that a simple library can be deployed into the (at
> server/lib or shared/lib), and from any webapp, calling into that
> wrapper class will allow the app to authenticate and register the user..
> irregardless of what specific authenticate/realm modules are being used.
>
> A very simple example, is that I would like for users to login on a html
> form, by entering not just their username - but maybe their email
> address (any number of them), or pub key (to be hypothetical)... then
> its it will be up to the webapp to search a database beforehand, to
> lookup the email address or pub key, and get the userid, then pass it to
> the auth module if, say, the account is current, the password age isn't
> expired, etc.
>
> All completely independent of what Realm/Authent. is config'd for any
> webapp. Only the username and password (and which webapp as implied by
> the context path contained in Request).: static boolean
> Tomcat5.authenticate(request, response, user, pass);
>
> Creating and deploying my own version of this class is not feasible,
> because :
>
> -users should have the option to write the account validation logic in JSP
>
> -Users may already have a custom impl, and should not have to extend or
> implement or compile anything in that impl. to support this lib. Be it
> their own impl or their choice-use of tomcat JDBC realm.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Given users are going to have to modify their app to use this library,
not modifying the associated context.xml looks to be a nice to have
requirement that is making things more difficult. Removing this
requirement opens up a number of alternative implementation options
including custom realms.

Mark