Hello Peter,

My deploy dir is $CATALINA_HOME/war-deploy it is not the webapps directory.
The temp, deploy and watch directories are all read/writeable.

I added the logging in the conf dir but it did not produce any extra output -
I dont think the logging was picked up.  I then followed the documentation
for logging on the tomcat web site but it dd not pick it up either - i put
log properties in the common/classes dir

Thanks,
Julie.