Server = Windows 2003 Server w/Service Pack 1 (IIS Admin is running just
to host the IIS FTP Server, the World Wide Web Service is not running)

Tomcat version = 5.5.12
OpenSSL version = 0.9.8 (I believe)
jre1.5.0_05

I ordered a Geotrust QuickSSL cert for the common name
calendar.wheatoncollege.edu and once issued I followed all of GeoTrust's
instructions for creating the keystore (I kept the password set to the
default of "changeit"). I uncommented the section of the server.xml file
that has the Connector tag for the SSL listener. I tried having it
listen on 8443, the default, and I tried switching it over to 443 and
with every change I made I stopped and started the Tomcat Windows
service. I can connect perfectly fine to port 8080 with http but
whenever I try

https://calendar.wheatoncollege.edu:8443  (or 443, depending on what
port I am trying at the time) the client says it is connecting but after
about a minute or so it throws the error

"The connection to calendar.wheatoncollege.edu has terminated
unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred."

(This error occurs when using Firefox on a PC). The same thing happens
with Internet Explorer, it takes a bit then throws an error.

I used netstat and TCPView on the server and sure enough the client has
an established connection to that port, and the port is listening. (By
the way, I shut off the local Windows firewall and disabled McAfee
Enterprise VirusScan version 8.0i).

I ended up speaking with the Geotrust techs and had them remote desktop
in to the server and they tried using the keystore file I generated and
they created their own for this server to test. They said they put
Tomcat into debug mode (which I do not know how they did this) but they
said everything configuration-wise looks great and they apologized for
not being able to get the cert to work... that one kind of freaked me
out.

The server does have 2 NIC cards so I tried disabling the 2nd NIC and
restarting Tomcat but with no luck, same thing, connects and times out.
I also had an entry in the local c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
file
for both NICS because of the backup software we use, I tried removing
those entries and doing an "ipconfig /flushdns" command, then restarted
Tomcat but with no luck. I then tried following the directions on the
Tomcat SSL HowTO page to create a self signed cert. I created .keystore
file and my <Connector> tag looks like this (I used the default password
of "changeit").

<Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false"
disableUploadTimeout="true" acceptCount="100" scheme="https"
secure="true" clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
keystoreFile="F:\ssl_files\.keystore" />

I then restarted Tomcat, still no luck. One other thing,
calendar.wheatoncollege.edu is just a DNS CNAME alias so I tried
creating a self signed cert for the server's real name in DNS,
mmserver2.wheatonma.edu but still no dice. I am really at a loss.

I never see any errors or info in the Windows Event Viewer but it is
fairly useless for troubleshooting anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.