> From: Roel De Nijs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have a tomcat with ± 10 web-applications. Is there a
> maximum or some guidance in the number of web-apps you can
> put in one instance of Tomcat?

Tomcat itself uses relatively little memory per-webapp (a few megabytes,
depending on version).  The major load comes from the number of simultaneous
connections (and hence the size of the thread pool) and, even more, from how
the webapps are written.  You're in the best place to evaluate these.

> And i start tomcat with the options -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -->
> is there some information or articles about how tomcat is
> spreading all this memory over the web-apps? Is this
> completely random, or first come first gets? What if a
> web-app is called for the first time and all possible memory
> is allocated to other web-apps?

It's all one big object memory, shared between all the webapps.  Roughly (there
are many more nuances than this): whenever it gets full, the garbage-collector
is run.  If there's not enough space to allocate an object after the garbage
collector has run, you get an OutOfMemoryError.  So memory will be allocated as
your webapps request it (and potentially returned to the Java VM's pool of free
memory some unknown time after they stop using it); if a webapp is called for
the first time and there's not enough space to allocate the memory required for
its startup, you'll get an OOME.

To my knowledge, there is no way of partitioning memory inside a single JVM
such that the amount available to a given webapp can be restricted.

                - Peter