Thank you Chuck and Tim for the information. I did wonder if it was a "normal" exception, now I know that it's at least nothing to worry about.

I have one more. This *IS* a real error, and is caused by something breaking between MySQL and my servlets.

SQL Problem: Communication link failure: java.net.SocketException, underlying cause: Connection reset

** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.net.SocketException
MESSAGE: Connection reset

STACKTRACE:

    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:235)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:1399)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:1775)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1109)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQuery(MysqlIO.java:1070)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:2027)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:1984)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.executeUpdate(Statement.java:1248)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Statement.executeUpdate(Statement.java:1194)
    at my.DBMS.keyUpdate(Unknown Source)
    at my.MyReport.doPost(Unknown Source)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.serveRequest(InvokerServlet.java:419) at org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet.doPost(InvokerServlet.java:169)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105) at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:541) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148) at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:868) at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:663) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

** END NESTED EXCEPTION **

SQL State: 08S01
Vendor Error: 0

Only two classes here are mine, the rest are Tomcat and the JDBC driver. My code is simply trying to update a record in the database, when (it appears) the communication link to the database fails. When checked, MySQL is running just fine, and continues to run fine. The current workaround is to detect this condition, and simply stop and restart Tomcat (/etc/init.d/tomcat.server stop; /etc/init.d/tomcat.server start).

Any ideas why the communication link to the database just dies? Again, Tomcat is still running, and the database is also still running just fine (other applications using the same database are still working when this happens).

Thanks in advance,

-Richard