On 14 Feb 2006, at 11:05, Warren Pace wrote:

From: Steve Meredith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2006/02/14 Tue AM 03:50:19 EST
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat 5.5 documentation: how to update website?

Hi all

Just spent time getting the Tomcat5.sh script to work as a daemon
under linux following the advice on the url:-

"The Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servlet/JSP Container"
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html

<quote>
"The file $CATALINA_HOME/bin/jsvc/native/tomcat.sh can be used as a
template for starting Tomcat automatically at boot time from /etc/
init.d. The file is currently setup for running Tomcat 4.1.x, so it
is necessary to edit it and change the classname from
BootstrapService to Bootstrap."
</quote>

If only I'd known catalina.sh works 'out of the box'  :-)

Section 1 of the docs - under the "Directories and Files" heading, second paragraph -
"These are some of the key tomcat directories all relative to
$CATALINA_HOME
./bin - Startup, shutdown, and other scripts. The *.sh files (for Unix systems) are functional duplicates of the *.bat files (for Windows systems). Since the Win32 command-line lacks certain functionality, there are some additional files in here."
HOWEVER - you're better off for having used jsvc.
"Out of the box" scrips run tc as root user.
Thanks Warren :-)
I guess I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of config files/ directories involved :) (startup.sh, catalina.sh, tomcat.sh?)
All sorted now though.

How can I update this page to help let people know there's an easier
option to get Tomcat using a startup script with catalina.sh rather
than tomcat5.sh?

Many thanks

Steve