From: Matt Munz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:56 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Configuring a web application at the container level

Hi all,

  Here's a newbie question -- I'm looking forward to RTFM :)  I would like
to find a consistent way to do application-specific configuration of a web
application.  Is there a best-practice for this that you might recommend?

  Consider the following example.  I have a hello world application that
contains one servlet, which outputs the string "Hello World".  The
application is bundled in hello-world.war, which I will then deploy in
various tomcat instances.

  Now, if I want to make the output string configurable, I might make an
entry in web.xml for this.  If I do it this way, then, at each deployment, I
have to unpack the web.xml and edit it to include the correct configuration
setting (e.g. "Hello World, from your friends at sample.com").  Yuck.  I'd
much rather put these configuration settings in a central file or registry
for each tomcat instance, and then hello-world.war could just inherit those
settings from the container.
That way I edit the configuration file once, and each re-deploy doesn't
require a re-edit of the configuration file.

  So, how do I do that?  JNDI, JMX, something else?

  Thanks for considering this question.

  - Matt Munz
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]