On 2/28/06, Tomasz Nowak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Your right, the tone of my postings is inproper.
> I've been using 'free' software for almost 10 years now
> and I pretty well get the rules. My only excuse is the
> level of my frustration, based on recent Tomcat use.
>
> For now, the only contribition to Tomcat community
> I can give is _pointing_out_ some real-world problems,
> that typical users of Tomcat may face (and face!).
> The problems are:

The claims of regressions over 4.1 are completely bogus.

> 1. Poor/none default logging facility in 5.5.x.
>    - no real help/tips on error sources
>    - no examples how to do a decent virtual hosts logging
>    - no tips how to switch off a lot of uneccesary trash log inputs
>    If Tomcat is supposed to be production ready why
>    it has no production ready logging features?

In case you haven't noticed, it is extremely hard to do, because
webapps have their own logging mechanism most of the time. You mention
the logger element of 4.x, but it didn't actually do anything (it did
put the internal logging for the specified container, as well as the
logging done using the ServletContext - aka, the ugliest and most
useless logging facility ever).
Tomcat 5.5.15 and j.u.l use hierarchical categories for the containers
so that you can easily replicate the logging that was done by the
logger element. The default logging.properties does that for
"localhost". I do not consider logging.properties to be poor or bad in
any way. You can also update to another, more full featured logger
based on j.u.l, such as http://www.x4juli.org/.

If you disagree with all this, you can use another technology as you
were planning.

> 2. No real-world, step-by-step docs how to TRACE and eliminate
>    application errors that lead to server failure. That is
>    probably a problem lot of Tomcat users must struggle with.

Right, you want an integrated profiler, ready to enable, and with no
performance cost. I'd like to have it too.

> 3. During last years I see no actions taken by Tomcat dev team
>    to eliminate Tomcat server failures caused by webaplications.
>    Is it really impossible?

It depends, on some OSes, it's apparently impossible to get a threaded
server to run properly indeed. You're using Linux 2.4.something. Try
updating to 2.6. If you are using Redhat or another Redhat based
distros, always use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat