The Tomcat mailing list, like Tomcat itself, and like most open-source projects in general, are volunteer efforts. People will answer what they feel they can, when they can. You should start by having no expectation of getting an answer because you in fact may not, because no one knows the answer, because no one has the time to answer, or yes, because your question was silly (I don't know what your question was, so I cannot judge) or just because no one felt like answering. If people deem your question to be something you should be able to answer yourself without much trouble, you may not get an answer (or you may get a simple RTFM answer).

As a volunteer endeavor, all of these are perfectly valid response, or non-responses, as the case may be.

One thing to keep in mind is that the open-source community is sometimes not the friendliest place. Being nice is not valued as much as technical prowess is. Between you and me, it personally took me a good deal of time to come to this understanding too. I value people being cordial and helpful with each other, and I personally strive to bring those qualities to any post I make (sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't!) but that is not a primary driver of a mailing list like this, technical discussion is.

I think the de facto standard to go by is codified here:

Read this and you will understand the community-driven projects like Tomcat a lot better I think and be able to interact better with them with the proper expectations.

Frank

Mike Sabroff wrote:
I have read and sometimes participated in these postings and answers in hopes of either finding answers to problems I am having or might have in the future and found it a well organized and contained group. I am disappointed though, in that I have posted a question in hopes of help with a problem I am experiencing and notta zilch zap. No response of any kind. So I posted it again and whappo, forget you. No answer. Is it common to have to post several times before getting a response? Is there a time delay because of the numerous amounts of threads? Is it something I did? I see a lot of really dumb things going through the postings and most of the time I try to remember that I once new nothing of Tomcat too, and that I still don't know very much and that no question is too dumb. Is my question too dumb? Have I been Black-Listed because I had a cruel response on one of those days that I just couldn't hold it back anymore?

WASSUP???

Mike