> How does the OS effect the decoding / accepting of the submitted
forms?

You might want to check that you have UTF-8 installed as a locale first.
Since you are using Debian do:

bash:# locale -a

If you see UTF-8 in the output then you should su to the user that
starts tomcat (probably root) and do:

bash:# export LANG=fr_BE.utf8
bash:# export LC_ALL=fr_BE.utf8

and then restart tomcat in that environment and test your form.
If there is no UTF-8 when you do "locale -a" then you should do:
bash# dpg-reconfigure locales
and you will get a screen where you can enable support for UTF-8.
If you are using a stock Debian kernel this will work without
recompiling.

This solved some problems for me but I use en_US.utf8

jonathan soons