From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:38 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Somewhat OT: Multiple auth methods in one webapp?

Hello... I marked this Somewhat OT because what I'm trying to accomplish
would ultimately be running in Websphere.  However, I would like to
develop it under Tomcat as I've always done, and it's also a general
webapp question...

I have an existing webapp that uses form-based authentication.  Now I'm
being asked to expose some Web Services from it, and I'm thinking of using
AXIS.  However, one of our requirements is that HTTP be secured with basic
auth.

Ideally I would like to add AXIS to my existing webapp, but it doesn't
seem possible to use both auth forms in a single webapp.  In a perfect
world I could continue to secure the user-accessible app with form-based
auth, but secure just the path to the AXIS-based services via basic auth.
I'm thinking the only way is to have a second webapp, but can anyone think
of another solution?  Thanks!

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect