yes, Quartz, is a nice open source scheduler.

best place to start it, is in an init method of a servlet.

Filip

Leon Rosenberg wrote:
On 3/17/06, Morten Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I need a thread that will write some emails and stuff every night.

why not using scheduler?

Can this be started from within tomcat. (I'm thinking about starting it
from loadOnStartup)

you can start a thread from nearly everywhere, just don't forget to
call setDaemon(true) or your thread will prevent tomcat from shutting
down properly.

We are experiencing that the main thread freezes when our new Thread is
put a sleep.

than you are doing something wrong. Could you supply your thread-starting-code?

Morten

Leon