apache + mod_jk, but I'd need 2 sets of worker.properties, one per each virtual host, ie, virtual host 1 would forward requests to Tomcat A and Tomcat B, and virtual host 2, would follow the requests to Tomcat C and Tomcat D. I have noticed that the JkWorkersFile directive cant be used per vhost, but rather in the main apache configuration context, is there any solution to work this out with vhosts, besides running 2 different apache instances?

Actually the JkMount directive can be placed inside a vhost, you can use on JkWorkers file to define workers for Tomcat A B, C, and D use the appropriate JkMount statement in each vhost