On 3/17/06, David Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Leon Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you tried it? ;)
> >
> > Yeah, and it didn't add any performance. However it helped to keep the
> > thread count low. But it was on 2.4.x kernel, where threads were an
> > issue, on 2.6.x its pointless (at least until you really has something
> > to cache :-) )
>
> If you're using Squid instead of Apache it can really help as setting
> up Apache to handle lots of concurrent connections is not easy: With a
> standard config on Unix you end up with a httpd process per
> connection, with one of the less tested MPMs you still end up with a
> thread.

That's true, but there is nothing to get by putting an apache infront
of tomcat. So we are not talking about squid vs apache, but about
squid-tomcat vs tomcat. I think with 2.4.6 kernel 1024 threads
shouldn't be a problem, if they are mostly inactive. If they aren't
inactive, well the load on the cpu will determine the amound of
threads you can support.

> With a typical Apache process consuming at least 4MB of memory, all of
> a sudden supporting 1000+ connections at the same time because not so
> trivial, not to mention the severe memory thrashing that occurs
> context switching between all those processes.
>
> It looks like Apache 2.2 supports using a separate thread for the sole
> task of keeping track of keep-alives, but you have to use the event
> MPM. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/event.html
>
> I haven't tried Apache 2.2 yet, and I haven't had luck with any other
> MPM besides prefork, but then again, I haven't tried any other MPMs
> recently, either.
>
> -Dave
>
> -Dave

Leon