--- "Caldarale, Charles R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > From: Alex Jalali [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: TomCat + mod_jk performance
> >
> > If you have lots of static html pages then apache is much better at
> > handling them.
>
> Have you actually measured this on the current version of Tomcat, or are
> you just echoing what you've heard?  If you try 5.5.x with the APR
> connector, I think you'll find little difference in performance between
> Tomcat and httpd for static content.

I would say that use of Apache over TC is justified in several cases, all of
which have very little to do with performance.

1. If you have some authentication implementation that TC cannot handle, like
GSSAPI.
2. If you already have Apache, which must run on the regular port and want to
integrate TC seamlessly. This can be achieved both via mod_proxy, mod_jk and
mod_proxy_ajp.
3. If you would like to do some load balancing (how does TC standalone stand
here?).

In most real world implementations, you will have an already living
Apache-based web site, that adds the application ability. It is not surprizing
to see TC brought into the mix via mod_jk, although I've seen mod_webapp,
recently (Plesk).

Some people say that this is common when you mix PH and Java/JSP. I must note
that whenever you run PHP in Apache, it falls back to PreFork MPM. I'm not sure
if it is the best choice, if you wish to run mod_jk. Don't they benefit from
the multithreaded MPM?

Nix.