> From: Christopher Molnar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Question on jar file size
>
> Reason I am asking is we have a web app that is run on laptops and
> then synced with a main server daily. I am wondering if it is better
> to (as the thing grows) to break it up into smaller jar files or
> continue to leave it as one file. I am currently right at 700KB.

Depends on the connection speed of the laptops.  700KB is pretty tiny,
so that shouldn't be a problem unless you're using some dreadful dial-up
mechanism.  As far as jar sizes go, that's pretty much limited by the
zip file handling code built into the JVM - usually 32 bits for file
sizes (haven't looked in the latest 1.5 JRE to see if Sun is now using
64 size fields in the zip library).  Remember that the rt.jar that comes
with the JRE is 36 MB...

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.