Thank you all kindly for these valuable comments and suggestions. I have
notices somethings we have obvious problems and need to be addressed.

We are running this 10g on a hardware RAID-5 array (SCSI).

The 10g is at the backend of 12 tomcat servers load balanced thru a apache
web server.

Each tomcat has a max. connections of 40 simulataneously.

As you have said we have identified few sql processes overloading the CPU's.

However, we cannot move back to non HT technology as this is not provided at
a HW level to us.

So were either planning to go for a quad (HT) with lots more RAM so to
increase SGA.

Thanks again for your help.