From: David Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:25 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Single sign-on with multiple Tomcats served via one Apache
httpdserver

The single sign-on valve only really shares an authenticated session
accross the contexts of one tomcat server.  Most likely other tomcat
servers only if they are clustered.  But you have two separate,
non-clustered tomcat's whose only commonality is the Apache front-end
and the user realm database.  I don't know of any way in which one would
be aware of sessions created and trusted in the other.  You might want
to consider your own sign-on mechanism to support this.

--David

Nic Daniau wrote:

>Hi, believe it or not, this problem which I though to be a very
>standard one, didn't get a single reply?! Even if you know this can't
>be done, please tell me! Thanks a lot in advance.
>
>Configuration:
>a. Apache httpd 2.0 server (IP0, port 80) with some content served from

>/cms b. Worker to a Tomcat 4.1 running on a separate box (IP1:8080)
>mapped to
>/app1
>c. Anpother worker to another Tomcat 5.5 running on separate box
>(IP2:8080) mapped to /app2
>
>Both Tomcats are using the same configuration for security realm
>(pointing to the same DataSource parameters of course):
>
>      <Realm className=" org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm"
>          dataSourceName="jdbc/default"
>          debug="99"
>          userTable="corporate.dbo.t_userlogin"
>          userNameCol="c_username"
>          userCredCol="c_password"
>          userRoleTable="corporate.dbo.t_userpermission"
>          roleNameCol="c_rolename"
>          digest="md5"/>
>
>and have their Single Sign-on valve turned on:
>
>        <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
>debug="0"/>
>
>However, if you're required to authenticate to access say,
>/app1/aSecure.jsp, you will be asked to authenticate again to access
>say, /app2/anotherSecure.jsp, though from the user point of view, this
>is the same username/password on the same URL.
>
>Is there a way to carry over the single sign-on from each Tomcat to the

>Apache server, so that /app2/anotherSecure.jsp can trust the
>authentication done while visiting /app1/aSecure.jsp, or should this be

>done in a completely different way?
>
>We have to keep those two separate Tomcats (distinct hardware,
>different versions, performance issues).
>
>Thanks for your help!
>Nic

This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are
not the intended recipient, (i) please do not read or disclose to others, (ii)
please notify the sender by reply mail, and (iii) please delete this
communication from your system.  Failure to follow this process may be
unlawful.  Thank you for your cooperation.