wow! you guys sound pretty harsh when it comes to messages to help users on simple mistakes then. I recently dropped in someone else's example app war file that had the SAME PROBLEM.....latest facelets. I could not even give back information to help them debug the problem. It was standard tomcat 5.5.16. It worked on 5.0 just fine. I now know that I need to unzip their war file, remove log4j(and maybe even hope that they are using commons, because if they are not, I may be utterly screwed). Then I need to redeploy their app. I need to do all this because tomcat is unwilling to give good helpful messages as to what is going on(as seen by all the other posts that have had trouble figuring out their problems behind that error with no reponses either.....I was the lucky one and finally figured out what was wrong). I can only hope others can find my solution post without wasting too much time.
later,
dean