BTW, I was pretty much stuck until you responded to my post like alot of the others I have seen with a similar post and no answer. If you had not responded, I would probably still be stuck and still googling, reading, trying to solve it. I really really appreciate your help. I could not find anything through google, or tomcat docs based on the info I had from tomcat logs. I was utterly lost until you prodded me(and that gave me some ideas).
thanks,
dean

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

ok, that was fairly easy, the error gets logged to the <TOMCAT_HOME>/logs/localhost.2006-03-29.log" this is on the default install, no loggers modified

so are you still having a problem?

Mar 29, 2006 9:12:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: org.apache.webapp.balancer.BalancerFilter: init(): ruleChain: [org.apache.webapp.balancer.RuleChain: [org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.URLStringMatchRule: Target string: News / Redirect URL: http://www.cnn.com], [org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.RequestParameterRule: Target param name: paramName / Target param value: paramValue / Redirect URL: http://www.yahoo.com], [org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.AcceptEverythingRule: Redirect URL: http://jakarta.apache.org]]
Mar 29, 2006 9:12:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
Mar 29, 2006 9:12:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class listeners.ContextListener
java.lang.RuntimeException: sdadasda
at listeners.ContextListener.contextInitialized(ContextListener.java:114) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3729) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4187) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:904) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:867) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:474) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1122) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310) at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Mar 29, 2006 9:12:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
Mar 29, 2006 9:12:47 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

Dean Hiller wrote:

thanks for the link. I need that too. Regardless of logging thought, quickly add this to any serlvetlistener

public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent evt) {
  throw new RuntimeException("asdfsf");
}

Run it, and enjoy not being able to know what the heck went wrong with your app like I have seen many have done on the posts already. ie. Tomcat used to log the stack trace, but in 5.5 does not, and that should be high enough warning level that config of logs don't matter.

Making the problem even harder.....
On a second note, I have fooled around with logging and it works fine in my app, and I could configure it and such(with 5.5) and my logging.properties file in WEB-INF. I could never get my servletlistener to log any statements(making the problem doubly hard).
thanks,
dean