Leon Rosenberg wrote:
Ok, my fault,
read "page" and "java" in one sentence -> map to Java Page -> Java
Server Page. Must be a circuit error in the brain.
Anyway, does it mean, that a proper configured JVM on an opteron
processor, will be significantly faster? Could be very interesting for
caches...

It depends on the number of memory pages your memory controller has to manage. I don't know the details about Opteron TLB (and didn't read the article carefully enough). So if your working set size is small I doubt any positive impact. If you use large memory/CPU the difference might be noticable.

Modern CPUs have on chip performance counters to find out. I know, that at least from a SPARC chip you can get the number of TLB misses from on chip performance registers (using cpustat/cputrack under Solaris). cpustat works for Opteron on Solaris 10 x86 too. Under Linux there seems to be perfctr patches (see: http://www.rz.rwth-aachen.de/computing/events/2006/sunhpc_2006/05_Smith.ppt)

Opteron has a lot of performance counters. You will find the ones supported by cpustat on

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/observability/hardware/cpc/

Leon