From: Filip Hanik - Dev Lists [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 3:49 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat Clusters, private network for replication, and Oracle 8i
JDBC driver

interesting, you might wanna play around with the route table and add some
static routes for how you want your traffic to flow.

Filip

Tim Lucia wrote:
I have a 3-node cluster, running on Linux.  All 3 boxes are identical.

Eth0 - A class B network address - The 'public' interface for web traffic (public in that it goes back out through httpd to the internet)

Eth1 - A class C network address - The 'private' interface for
replication.
I.e.

            <Receiver
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="192.168.x.y"
                tcpListenPort="4009"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"/>

Tomcat clustering all works fine. The problem comes when I request a connection from the connection pool to an Oracle 8i data source, like the
following:

  <Resource
    name="jdbc/dbname"
    type="javax.sql.DataSource"
    driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
    url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname.company.com:1521:dbname"
    username="user"
    password="password"
    validationQuery="SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DUAL"
    initialSize="10"
    defaultCatalog="dbname"
    maxIdle="20"
    maxWait="5000"
    maxActive="50"/>

If I have the private network enabled for replication, then the Oracle thin driver insists on trying to connect through this interface first. This happens on a class A network (10.0.x.y) as well as a class C network (192.168.10.y). It also happens if the OS happens to be W2K. It will take 5 seconds and time out, and the connect through the class B address. With 10 data sources (on Oracle) I get a connection pool startup time of 50+ seconds (minimum).

If I turn off the class C (or class A) private network and replicate on my class B network, this problem does not happen.

Can anybody explain to me why this is the case?  Has anyone else seen
this?
Has anyone else got this working as expected?

Should I even bother trying to keep the replication traffic on a private network? The boxes have 4 gig connections and so it seems like I should be able to make use of the other 3.

Thanks,
Tim

P.s. Yes I know Oracle 8i pre-dates modern man and is no longer supported.
I'm on a long-range plan to move to MySQL.