From: Allistair Crossley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 18 April 2006 17:10
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: JK Sticky Session Handling with Load Balancing

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, that has led to a solution I think.

I used the EAL valve to log inbound and outbound cookies as you
suggested.

<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.ExtendedAccessLogValve"
  directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_xaccess_log." suffix=".txt"
  pattern="cs(Cookie) sc(Set-Cookie) sc-status"  />

Started both Tomcats, and put a whole bunch of requests in, including
new browsers to generate new sessions. The result was that I spotted I
made a mistake with my naming of jvmRoute which I did not realise had to
reflect the name of the worker. I had called them jvm1 and jvm2 when
they needed to be tomcat1 and tomcat2.

This seems to have solved the actual issue, with sessions now being
maintained on the relevant server ...

tomcat1

"Language=en; Country=US"
"JSESSIONID=45B40272D7FADB4F574B9B70B9699E51.tomcat1; Path=/" 200
"Language=en; Country=US;
JSESSIONID=45B40272D7FADB4F574B9B70B9699E51.tomcat1" - 200

tomcat2

"Language=en; Country=US"
"JSESSIONID=1299F640245D5064BFE8118092405723.tomcat2; Path=/" 200
"Language=en; Country=US;
JSESSIONID=1299F640245D5064BFE8118092405723.tomcat2" - 200

_However_ ;) The one thing I don't get is that the session id is still
blank on the JSP when served by Tomcat 2, whereas on Tomcat 1 I get
something like

ABDEFAA6D956F1DAACBB8B0A7D0238D4.tomcat1

>From JK logging I can see that the cookie does get set for Tomcat 2

[Tue Apr 18 17:07:15 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (628):
Number of headers is = 3
[Tue Apr 18 17:07:15 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (684):
Header[0] [Set-Cookie] =
[JSESSIONID=4CBDB4270B8239DD4A71D32529BF0A13.tomcat2; Path=/] [Tue Apr
18 17:07:15 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (684):
Header[1] [Content-Type] = [text/html;charset=UTF-8] [Tue Apr 18
17:07:15 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (684):
Header[2] [Content-Language] = [en-GB]
[Tue Apr 18 17:07:15 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_ajp_common.c (1037):
received from ajp13 pos=0 len=1266 max=8192

And a follow-up request matches the same session ID

[Tue Apr 18 17:08:43 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_lb_worker.c (514):
total sessionid is 4CBDB4270B8239DD4A71D32529BF0A13.tomcat2
[Tue Apr 18 17:08:43 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_lb_worker.c (524):
searching worker for partial sessionid
4CBDB4270B8239DD4A71D32529BF0A13.tomcat2
[Tue Apr 18 17:08:43 2006] [1184:2312] [debug] jk_lb_worker.c (532):
searching worker for session route tomcat2 [Tue Apr 18 17:08:43 2006]
[1184:2312] [debug] jk_lb_worker.c (541):
found worker tomcat2 for route tomcat2 and partial sessionid
4CBDB4270B8239DD4A71D32529BF0A13.tomcat2

So I am not sure why my JSP is unable to get a handle on the session ID
for tomcat2 sessions only.

Best regards, Allistair.