I'm trying to get Tomcat 5.5.16 set up for multiple independent instances (for use by multiple developers w/out stepping on each others' toes) in Windows XP (and eventually 2003 Server).

I've got the binaries installed in c:\Apache\Tomcat5, and this is where the environment variable CATALINA_HOME points.

I've got one instance set up in c:\arcims-tomcat, and this is where CATALINA_BASE points.

However, when I tried to install log4j, I had to put the .jar files and log4j.properties files under CATALINA_HOME/common in order for it to work. Putting them under CATALINA_BASE/common did not work. Obviously this is a problem because then multiple instances, which all share CATALINA_HOME would be intermixed in one log file. It also points to the bigger problem of all instances sharing CATALINA_HOME/common for everything.

Is there a way to get each instance of tomcat to use its own CATALINA_BASE/common directory?

There's also the problem of getting multiple service-based tomcat instances to have their own idea of what CATALINA_BASE points to.

David