----- Original Message -----
> Jose,
> Tomcat is using JDK 1.5 and its JDBC driver.So I am not sure if I
> need to upgrade the JDBC driver.

>I suspect that whene DB is getting restarted,

Are you restarting the Oracle database without restarting your Tomcat instance?
 Depending on how your application gets a database connection this could be an
issue.

> the idle connections are being removed.

Are you using Tomcat DataSource to manage your connections?  If so, please
include your <Resource/> tag.

> Not sure how we can avoid this situation

If you are using a DataSource, you could try adding validation.  With DBCP this
is done by adding a "validationQuery" option.  For more details, see the
following link.

  https://commons.apache.org/dbcp/configuration.html

Dan