On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 14:39 -0700, Jim Proctor wrote:
> Greetings — I'm running into errors installing a Java app called
> GeoServer (latest stable v2.1.4) on my Tomcat server at
> sge.lclark.edu:8080 (Tomcat v.7.0.26, JVM v.1.6.0_20-b20). I
> downloaded the .war.zip file, expanded it, and uploaded the .war file
> into a root-level directory (/geoserver) in Tomcat's webapps folder.
> Then, using the Tomcat manager, I tried both clicking "Start" for this
> directory, and used the Deploy menu below. The Deploy option results
> in Tomcat error "Application already exists at path," and the "Start"
> option results in Tomcat error "Application at context path /geoserver
> could not be started."

Huh?  Are you saying you uploaded geoserver.war to the directory
<TC_HOME>/webapps/geoserver/ and tried to deploy it from there using the
Manager?  If so, don't do that.  Stop Tomcat, move the .war file to
webapps/, remove the webapps/geoserver/ directory and restart.  Unless
autodeploy is disabled it should deploy automatically.