I cannot determine a consistent way to define web applications for the Tomcat configuration:

Development localhost: Tomcat 5.5.9
Production remote VPS: Tomcat 5.5.3

========== DEVELOPMENT configuration (localhost)

c:\hello\myapps\cat
    META-INF
        context.xml
    WEB-INF
    index.jsp

c:\hello\myapps\dog
    META-INF
        context.xml
    WEB-INF
    index.jsp

The Tomcat configuration (no changes to server.xml) looks like this:

tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/cat.xml
tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/dog.xml

========== PRODUCTION configuration (VPS)

/fast/pets/cat
    META-INF
        context.xml
    WEB-INF
    index.jsp

/slow/pets/dog
    META-INF
        context.xml
    WEB-INF
    index.jsp

And Tomcat, again no changes to server.xml:

tomcat/conf/Catalina/cat.com/how_do_i_name_this_file.xml
tomcat/conf/Catalina/dog.com/ditto_for_this_file_too.xml

========== MY COMMENTS/QUESTIONS:

(1) Please note that I am not using any "webapps" or "ROOT" folders. If they are not required, I do not want them. If they are absolutely required (for technical reasons, not best practices), then I will use them. I can institute best practices later.

(2) How should the contexts be configured in each situation? What are the proper file names? And, what are the "docbase" and "path" attributes for the Context element(s)?

(3) Once I get Tomcat configured correctly in each environment, is it necessary to have META-INF/context.xml at all?

========== CONCLUSION:

I own books on Tomcat. I have read the documentation, over and over. I must be missing something because the variations -- which I understand, in theory -- do not work in practice. Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

David Woosley
AppNation Inc.