On 7/30/2012 8:32 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM,<llow...@oreillyauto.com>  wrote:

Currently, each night we wipe out the wars and then redeploy them with
fresh copies ...

?!

What's the general consensus for the best practice for this?

Uh, "don't" ?

+1

Are nightly  tomcat restarts even needed  ...

I have legacy apps that run for months, and then only get "restarted"
when Tomcat itself is upgraded.

Yup.  Or when OS updates are applied and require a reboot.

Any recommendations or thoughts or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. I'm sure there is some room for improvement in how we do
things, but I was wondering what was considered a "standard practice" in
this area.

Also, I only mount the spare tire on my car when one of the other four
is flat. Irresponsible slacker, I know, but ...

FWIW, YMMV, etc.