2012/7/31 Michele Mase' <michele.m...@gmail.com>:
> The "only" way to reproduce it is (for me) without the plugin; i'm sorry ...
> I haven't seen what happens using a sniffer, but the X in the apache's log
> file tells me that the client is aborting the session, I suspect a session
> reset could happen.
> And finally, following your suggestion, a F5 helped me:
>
> 200Ok session:
> GET /test.pdf HTTP/1.1
> Accept: */*
> Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
> CLR 2.0.50727)
> Host: installazioni-el6b.insiel.it:8080
> Connection: Keep-Alive
> Pragma: no-cache
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> ETag: W/"3447866-1343391729000"
> Last-Modified: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:22:09 GMT
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:32:05 GMT
>
> 206KO:
> GET /test.pdf HTTP/1.1
> Accept: */*
> Range: bytes=3446021-3447865, 475136-1792507
> Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
> CLR 2.0.50727)
> Host: installazioni-el6b.insiel.it:8080
> Connection: Keep-Alive
> Pragma: no-cache
>
> HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> ETag: W/"3447866-1343391729000"
> Last-Modified: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:22:09 GMT
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:32:20 GMT

The Content-Length header in the above 206 response is not from Tomcat.

Tomcat's DefaultServlet does not calculate the whole size of the parts
and does not set content-length, and the file size is much more than
fits into the buffer.
So it would use  Transfer-Encoding: chunked  in its response and not
the one that you cited.
There must be some proxy in the way that buffers the data and sends
them as one response instead of chunks. HTTPD? Was there some option
in it that disables chunked encoding when interacting with IE?

I tried to reproduce this request locally with a telnet client, and
when I have local A/V software turned on, it interferes and re-chunks
the response into larger chunks.
If I turn the A/V off, I see Tomcat 7.0.29 responding in chunks of 2Kb
(0x2000 bytes) each, as expected.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko