I don't know it depends on your implementation of hashCode() method.
Are you using 1.5?

    static int hash(Object x) {
        int h = x.hashCode(); <-- your programm is here

        h += ~(h << 9);
        h ^=  (h >>> 14);
        h +=  (h << 4);
        return h;
    }

I think chances are low that the you see threads in this method often.
Would you mind checking the hashCode() method implementation of the
objects you put in the map?

Maybe someone programmed some kind of very-cool-hash-code-optimization
and got an infinite loop.

regards
Leon