Am 01.08.2012 19:10, schrieb Shaw, Ray V CTR (US):
I'm starting up Tomcat 7.0 on RHEL6 with the following init script:

#!/bin/bash
#
# chkconfig: 235 80 20

CATALINA_HOME="/opt/tomcat7"
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk6-64/"

case "$1" in
         'start')
                 /bin/su tomcat -c "$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh -security"
                 ;;
         'stop')
                 /bin/su tomcat -c $CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh
                 ;;
         *)
                 echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
                 ;;
esac

If I use sudo -s (or -i) to get a root shell, I can use this script to start
and stop Tomcat.

If I invoke this script directly via sudo, i.e. "sudo /sbin/service tomcat7
stop", stopping Tomcat works.  Starting does not; Tomcat gives the usual output to
the terminal, creates or touches catalina.out (but writes nothing to it), and then
instantly exits.  This is a problem, because I need to allow the Web admin to start/stop
Tomcat without giving them everything.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this before?  /var/log/secure isn't showing
anything out of the ordinary (and obviously, the commands are being run).

Could you post your tomcat output when you try to start it? You should also check differences in your environment variables when using different methods.

- Stefan