Miguel,

On 8/6/12 3:26 PM, Miguel Almeida wrote:
> Consider the following context file jamesbond.xml in
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine_name]/[host_name]):
>
> <Context docBase="/srv/apps/jamesbond.war" unpackWAR="true"
> debug="0" privileged="true"> <Environment name="my.env" value="VAL"
> type="java.lang.String" override="true"/> </Context>
>
> *1)* In Tomcat 6 you'd update the war at /srv/apps and it would
> automatically be redeployed and exploded.
>
> However, in Tomcat 7 this isn't happening.
>> From the docs
>> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html), a
> new important text that wasn't in 6 reads: unpackWARs - (...) WAR
> files located outside of the Host's *appBase* will not be
> expanded.
>
> And in
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment:

- - When using automatic deployment, the docBase defined by an XML
> Context<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html>file

should be outside of the
> appBase directory. If this is not the case, difficulties may be
> experienced deploying the web application or the application may be
> deployed twice. The deployIgnore attribute can be used to avoid
> this situation.
>
> Both these rules means you can't have automatic deployment of files
> outside appBase and explode them (into appBase).

Do you mean "automatic deployment" or "automatic redeployment"? If you
want to update a WAR file that is outside of the appBase, then update
the WAR file and then 'touch' the XML file in
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine_name]/[host_name]/jamesbond.xml.

> Why is this? How can one have the same behaviour as in Tomcat 6:
> have the war* outisde appBase*, use a context xml like the one
> above and have the application exploded.

Do you really care about the WAR file being exploded? If this is
really a complaint about your question #2 (handled by others
separately within this thread), then you should be using the temp dirs
instead of getRealPath and you won't have to worry about the lack of
WAR-explosion anymore.