On 8/9/2012 8:29 AM, Massimo Chirivì - Ict Consultant wrote:
Attached file is my server.xml, the service catalina with all virtual host
work correctly, the service catalinassl is not working
the subfolders of the folder /catalinassl/site3 are empty.
you kindly tell me the changes to make in server.xml
I'm not understanding
thank

Massimo Chirivì

Massimo,

I'm not sure if this is a language problem or some other problem. I don't speak Italian, but maybe someone else on the list does.

I can empathize with language barriers (I've had to struggle with documentation written in Bahasa - which i know zero about). Maybe you have a team mate that can help translate the Tomcat documentation and Wiki article into Italian?

A point of clarification about path names.

File path names beginning with / are absolute path names. This means that when you write /webapps/site1, you are referring to a directory from the root of the file system - ie., /webapps/site1.

File path names not beginning with a / are relative path names. This means that the path names are relative to some base path.

In Tomcat, the base path starts at $CATALINA_BASE. This is where Tomcat is run from (gets a bit more complicated with distribution repackaging). For example, if I install and run Tomcat from:

/home/mdeggers/Apache/apache-tomcat-6.0.35

Then $CATALINA_BASE becomes

/home/mdeggers/Apache/apache-tomcat-6.0.35

A relative path name of "webapps" then becomes:

/home/mdeggers/Apache/apache-tomcat-6.0.35/webapps

as an absolute path name in this particular sense.

So in your case, you need to have directories /webapps/site1, /webapps/site2, and /conf/site3 at the root of your file system. This is not a good thing.

That being said, you have not made any of the changes recommended by:

1) The documentation
2) The cited Wiki article
3) Several patient people on the mailing list

For your particular question, please note the following Context elements (again, this is very bad practice).

A. In Service Catalina

Host element with name="site1"
<Context path="" docBase="/webapps/site1" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

Host element with name="site2"
<Context path="" docBase="/webapps/site2" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

B. In Service Catalinassl

Host element with name="site1"
<Context path="" docBase="/webapps/site1" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

As you can see, there is NO site3 Host element in any part of your server.xml. Therefore, there should be nothing in CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalinassl/site3. There should also be nothing in CATALINA_BASE/work/Catalinassl/site3.

/Catalinassl/site3 makes no sense as a path.

The path to the keystore file has nothing to do with where the appBase is (or docBase).

You are still using the wrong connector configuration for SSL. If you are loading the APR native libraries (and the logs you posted indicated that you are), you need to use the appropriate OpenSSL-style connector configuration (and certificate files).

I've posted the relevant portion of the server.xml for SSL from the online documentation in this thread before.

. . . . fresh out of cents (or sense)
/mde/