I noticed that jsvc creates about 68 processes on one of my servers.

I start it using an init.d script under redhat 9.
I don't think I have done anything egregious.
...snip
CATALINA_OPTS=" -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx750m -Xms750m"
...snip
start(){
$DAEMON_HOME/jsvc \
   -user $TOMCAT_USER \
   -home $JAVA_HOME \
   -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
   -Djava.io.tmpdir=$CATALINA_HOME/temp \
   -outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
   -errfile '&1' \
   $CATALINA_OPTS \
   -cp $CLASSPATH \
   org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
   echo "starting tomcat: " $CATALINA_HOME
   echo "tomcat user: " $TOMCAT_USER
   #
   # To get a verbose JVM
   #-verbose \
   # To get a debug of jsvc.
   #-debug \
}

I was getting a 143 error on exiting Tomcat with an old version of jsvc.
I got the version packaged with 5.5.16 and compiled it just in case this was fixed.

My 143 error is gone, but there still are lots of processes generated when I start Tomcat as a daemon.

I have another server where only 1 jsvc.exe process is started when I start Tomcat.

What am I doing wrong on the server with 68 processes.

mas