André,

On 10/22/12 2:34 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> vicky007aggar...@yahoo.co.in wrote:
>> All/Andre,
>>

>> """You could probably do this using mod_proxy_http instead of
>> mod_jk (and a HTTPS Connector in Tomcat).  But you should then
>> also accept the overhead."""
>>
>> Queries :
>>
>> 1. Based on above comment does that mean i can use mod_proxy
>> module in order to have ssl communication between apache &
>> tomcat.???
>>

> I think so, but you'd have to check that with the Apache
> documentation.

Yes, you can: just use an https:// URL instead of http:// in your
ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse directives.

>> 2. Load balancing wont work using mod _proxy , correct ??
>
> Wrong.  Look at the Apache documentation, mod_proxy_balancer

+1

>> 3. What overhead you're talking in setting up in setting up
>> mod_proxy for ssl communication between apache & tomcat
>
> Setting it up is not the overhead problem. The overhead is because
> :
>
> browser <- HTTPS -> Apache <- HTTPS -> Tomcat.
>
> meaning : - the browser encrypts (you don't care) - Apache decrypts
> (overhead, but unavoidable) - Apache encrypts (overhead,
> avoidable) - Tomcat decrypts (overhead, avoidable)

+1

But, if you need to have a secure channel between httpd and Tomcat,
then the encryption overhead is *not* avoidable. By using stunnel or a
VPN, you can avoid needless TCP setup/teardown and repeated key
exchanges, but the encryption obviously always needs to take place
(and takes time).