Am 2012-10-27 19:25, schrieb Mark Thomas:
Is this something worth being filed in Bugzilla as a longterm goal for
Tomcat 8?

Sure, but without a proposed patch I suspect it will sit there for a few
years and then closed as WONTFIX. With a patch, it still might not get
fixed but at least you'll know for sure and if the patch isn't too
invasive (for the benefit it provides) it is likely to be applied.

That seems to be very tough. I hacked Tomcat code several times but wouldn't claim that I am firm enough to implement such a tremendous improvement. Interesting though that no one else yet requested such an improvement.

I have no usecase for this at the moment :-(, I only provide patches for stuff I suffer from at work.

As this [1] draft lays out Negotiate and Kerberos may apply to connection or request level auth. We are just lucky that the first gss_accept_sec_context makes the context complete in the SPNEGO authenticator.

Some clients maintain the state and rely on the server to maintain the connection state too. Tomcat does not do that which means that the current SPNEGO authenticator has to issue a "Connection: close" after successful auth. Otherwise the client will reuse the connection and keep sending requests w/o reauthenticating eventhough Tomcat requires to do so. In this case I have a Wireshark capture where this exactly happens and the clients traps in an endless loop and issues thousands of requests performs a DoS.

Thanks,

Mike

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montenegro-httpbis-multilegged-auth-01#section-1