On 28 Oct 2012, at 11:39, Ashkan Rahmani <ashkan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Now I have a windows 2003 server and a Tomcat 6.x on it.
> Our application has many many parts and it's very big.
>
> Actually we are not happy with tomcat performance, (We are working very
> hard on developing that software and improving
> performance)  .
> We want  to improve application performance (working on it now) and tomcat
> (by tuning and we are doing now and using latest stable version) and
> finally OS, for this we want to remove (damn) windows and come back to
> centos 6 and maybe some hardware upgrade.
> My question from you is: is here anyone have some experience with tomcat on
> windows and Linux which running same things? which has better performance?

Your app is usually responsible for 95% of the tunable overhead, the
rest usually comes down to choosing the right number of threads per
Tomcat instance and the appropriate JVM memory and GC configuration.

There are reasons people prefer Linux to Windows but I think you'd see
a fairly  substantial debate about whether the OS choice has an effect
on raw performance.

Can you tell us anything about the app?

Are you using a profiler and VisualVM or JConsole to monitor Tomcat
and app behaviour?