Hi Esmond

You are correct. As I recently found out Tomcat and Java is not causing this explicitly, as I first thought. So there is no 'bug' to be fixed.

But I believe there is an elegant way to refuse further connections when under load by turning off just the 'accepting' of new connections, and causing the client to see a 'connection refused' instead of allowing new connections, accepting requests and then resetting connections with a 'connection reset', preventing the client from a clean failover for non-idempotent requests. Apache HttpComponents/NIO library already supports this, so its something that Tomcat too can support if the community thinks it would be useful.

cheers
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera