Bob Hall wrote:
André,

On 16/11/2012 14:39, André Warnier wrote:

 Response (to Mark and David) : I accept the verdict of the native
English-speakers.
 In my defense, I would say that to me, the word "useless" has more of a
negative connotation than what I wanted to express.  Using an expression
 such as "the filter is useless" here may have suggested that I thought that
this code was not worth the memory cells it was written on.  Which is of
 course far from my thoughts on the matter.
"Unnecessary" was a way for me to express that in these particular
circumstances, it would 1) not help, while 2) - being a filter - adding unwarranted
(?) overhead to the application.

"filter is ineffective" might work for you.

- Bob

That does sound better to me.

Shall we agree that the correct phrasing should have been :

If you are not using HttpServletResponse#encodeRedirectURL(String) or
HttpServletResponse#encodeURL(String) in your application, then this
filter would be ineffective (and wasteful of system resources)

..but your application can still be subjected to CSRF attacks.

From the Oxford dictionary on-line :

Definition of ineffective
adjective

. not producing any significant or desired effect:
  . the legal sanctions against oil spills are virtually ineffective
  . a weak and ineffective president

Definition of useless
adjective

. not fulfilling or not expected to achieve the intended purpose or desired
outcome:
  . a piece of useless knowledge
  . we tried to pacify him but it was useless
. informal : having no ability or skill in a specified activity or area: he was useless at football

Definition of unnecessary
adjective

. not needed: some people feel that holiday insurance is unnecessary
. more than is needed; excessive:
  . good construction is essential to avoid unnecessary waste