Our web app may be deployed to a Tomcat version 6 or higher, hence Java
version 5 or higher. It may be deployed to a Tomcat running on a
Windows-derivative OS or Unix-derivative OS.

We have a requirement that can be stated as follows,

* The web app needs to be able to read from and write to a directory that
is external to the webapp's own docBase and directory structure.
* The write access needs to be unrestricted in that the web app will need
to create, modify and delete files and directories within the directory
(but not be able to delete the directory itself).
* The directory needs to be a member of the webapp's classpath.
* The directory contents must not be accessible via any url that can be
directed at the webapp. (The external directory cannot be considered to be
owned by the webapp. Other applications (not web applicaitons) own (in the
logical sense) the directory. These applications write information to and
read information from this directory. I need my web app to be a consumer
and publisher of informoration in this directory without exposing any
directory contents via a url).

We're developing on Windows 7. In the development environment, we're simply
placing the path to the external directory in the webapp's classpath in the
web app's Tomcat context file. We're running Tomcat without the -security
option and all works well. With the -security option, as expected, the
webapp no longer has the permissions needed to read and write against the
external directory with File operations.

What do we need to do to configure Tomcat (running with the -security
option) to allow us the access we're after to the external directory?

Cheers,
Baron