First off, thanks to all for the assistance getting my other tomcat
CRL issues working.  Converted to APR and tcnative and things seem to
be loading, running well now.

Now, the question has come up - what happens when a user authenticates
with their Smart Card, but then pulls their card and walks away.  Is
there a way for Tomcat to detect such an event on the client and
terminate/timeout the session?

In the googling I've done, I've seen suggestions about writing a
little java app that runs within our application and periodically
pulls something from the SmartCard - when the app fails to get that
piece of info, it terminates the app.

Is that the way to go?  (and if so, is there sample code - I know this
isn't a java forum, but if someone's invented this wheel before, that
would be great).

--Will