2012/12/6 Smith, Mitchell <mitchell.sm...@cwc.com>:

> I have a jvmRoute appended to my JSESSIONID to enable sticky sessions at an
> application level.
>
> I see often that users do not close browsers, resulting (even if the tomcat
> session has expired) the user to be forwarded back to the instance.
>
> Is it possible to set an expiry for the jvmRoute / JSESSIONID to be expired
> at the browser so after x amount of time since last request the jvmRoute is
> not transmitted back to the application apache load balancer. This would
> prevent users constantly being directed to the same application node.

1. Even if one can set expiration time for the session cookie
(configurable in a Servlet 3.0 compliant application), you cannot do
anything if somebody publishes a link containing a jsessionid in it
somewhere, e.g. on a forum.

What I can think of is to make the jvmroute itself temporary e.g. by
changing it periodically.

2. How one additional user can be a problem in such a system? If he
accesses a heavy-loaded system the things will be slow for him, but
faster for all others, who close their browsers regularly.

So one could recommend that if things go slow to close one's browser,
clean caches, or even reboot. ;)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko