On Dec 19, 2012, at 8:57 AM, vicky007aggar...@yahoo.co.in wrote:

> My tomcat 6.x is using currently is using the default logging i.e JULI.

Please include the specific version of Tomcat that you are using.  There are 36
releases in the 6.0.x branch, it helps to know exactly which one you are using.

> But my application deployed on it is using log4j which was working fine on
> jboss earlier but when i deployed the same on tomcat i got below error
> +++++++++++++++++
> SEVERE:Error listener start
> ++++++++++++++++

This could mean any number of things.  If you look in the
"localhost.YYYY-MM-DD.log" file, you should see a full stack trace.  We'll need
to see that to tell you more.

> When i googled i came to know the tomcat by default expects
> webapps/<App>/WEB-INF/classes/logging.properties .

This is wrong.  You can use any type of logging that you want in your
application.

> By creating the above file my error mentioned above got resolved. Does this
> is the right approach, will

As mentioned above, we'll need to see the exact error to know what is happening
and how best to resolve it.

> now i wont be able to make use of log 4j for my application??

You can use Log4j with your application, it works great, I do it all the time.
Of course, this assumes that you wrote your application to use Log4j or some
compatible logging framework, like SLF4J.

> Soon after that i encounter errors that class not found w.r.t class  i
> mentioned in my application web.xml under Listener tag & strange thing is i
> have already place the respective jars under my CATALINA_BASE/lib directory.

This sounds like you might be on track to finding the real problem here.

> Ques-1
> I didnt understand & i dont know how to
> Implement log4j for an application when my tomcat is using JULIE framework??

Tomcat uses JULI logging internally.  This choice does not impact your
application.  You can use whatever logging framework (or none) that you want.

> Ques-2: inspite of placing my custom jars needed by my application under
> CATALINA_BASE/lib directory , still i am getting class not found exception??

Probably not a good idea to place them here unless you really know what you are
doing and have a specific reason for doing it.  I would suggest that you just
put them inside your WAR file in the "WEB-INF/lib" directory.

> Ques-3 do i need to implement log4j at tomcat first then only i can make it
> available to my application ?

No, see above.

Dan