To whom it may concern,

On 1/20/13 2:49 PM, sry...@jsrsys.com wrote:
> "shouldn't it be easy to determine where the file should go in
> your development environment?" One would think so.   On the linux
> environment it is under etc/Tomcat5.5/ the same directory as
> server.xml

If it's under /etc/, then it's probably using a package-managed
version of Tomcat, which routinely have files in surprising locations.
I don't believe there are any package-managers for Windows that
support Tomcat, so you are probably using one directly from Apache (or
you should be).

> However, when I put it in the ...conf directory on Windows, it
> appears that it is ignored, in the eclipse console startup log I
> don't see any entry for context.xml.

So you went from using a package-managed version on Linux to an
Eclipse-deployed version on Microsoft Windows? No wonder you are
confused. I personally have no idea how Tomcat works through Eclipse.
I tend to stay-away from anything that "magically" works. Start Tomcat
using the command-line scripts or as a Windows Service with the
service runner that comes with Tomcat. You'll be a lot happier with
that configuration over time. ... unless you want to deploy to
production through Eclipse for some reason.

> I have tried to find Tomcat5 documentation on placement of
> context.xml file.

A file called context.xml exists in conf/context.xml and you may add
one under META-INF/context.xml in any web application. The former is
the global, default context.xml for the whole server and the latter is
obviously per-webapp. It's up to you which is more appropriate for
your needs.

> Even better would be sample code for jdbc context.xml.

There are samples in the Tomcat users' guide.

> I don't want to have a copy for each webapp, just one that applies
> to all webapps.

You want the same JDBC resource for all of your webapps? I would
recommend against doing it using conf/context.xml, but that would be
the way to do it.

Why don't you show us what you've got, and we can suggest some
improvements?