This is a "feature" of the servlet spec.

To use a class from both client and server you're forced to have multiple copies of it in your web app -- or alternatively to do non-standard adjustments to the web app loader / classpath.

If you don't have too many of these copy cases, I advise just having your build process produce the necessary copies.

Unfortunately, some of us have *lots* of these cases. The lack of a "common" area which is accessible to client and server classloaders is a very unfortunate gap in the servlet spec in this case.

Andrew Bubnic wrote:
Hi guys, hoping someone has an answer to this:

I have a servlet and an applet running in the same webapp. The servlet
needs to access a class the applet .jar contains. The applet is visible
to the browser.

Problem is: I need to access this applet utility class (or it could be
any class really, outside the WEB-INF folder but inside the current
webapp) from the servlet. I don't want to actually access the running
applet on the user's end, just the .class on the server webapp (so I can
instantiate it etc). I also don't want to have to keep a copy of this
utility class with the servlet class as a work-around as it's rather
inelegant.

I have heard you can modify web.xml in the webapp\WEB-INF folder to
allow access to any .class/.jar in the current webapp but I haven't been
able to find how to do this.

If you have any ideas or leads about this problem, please let us know.
Thanks guys.