On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 14:39 +1300, Vince Stewart wrote:
> Using Tomcat 7.0.35 embedded in Java standalone application. Java SE 1.7.0.
> Ubuntu 12.04
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have an experimental class below. The aim is just to open a listening
> port on port 4000 in the "localhost" address.
> When this has run, the address for the listener is "127.0.0.1" in other
> words an IPv4 address.
> However the SocksSocketImpl object representing the real socket continues
> to display the* useV4* property as *false*
> and my Ubuntu system displays the listening socket as "tpc6".

Listening only for tcp6?  What does
        netstat -atn | grep -P ":4000\W"
show?

Perhaps what you want is to set the java.net.preferIPv4Stack system
property in CATALINA_OPTS?  Description here:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/net/properties.html

But why would you want that limitation?